In this post I’ll show you how to view who has opened or clicked a link in a Flodesk 1-off or Workflow email, and how to manually or automatically segment subscribers based on their opens + clicks!
See Which Flodesk Emails an Individual Subscriber Has Opened + Clicked
Need to see exactly which emails an individual subscriber has been sent, which ones they’ve opened, and which links they’ve clicked (and exactly what date + time these happened)? You can find all of this info in each subscriber’s profile!
To get started, click on an individual subscriber email to go to their profile, and under the “Analytics” tab (which is the default tab) you’ll see the At a glance (total) number of emails delivered, opened and clicked.
If you click on any of those colored bars, you can see a more detailed breakdown:
- Delivered: Click to see which emails have been sent to this subscriber and when they were sent
- Opened: Click to see which emails this subscriber has opened and when they were opened
- Total Clicks: Click to see the total number of times this subscriber has clicked a link in any email, even if its the same link more than once
- Unique Clicks: Click to see total number of individual links this subscriber has clicked in any of your emails
*Note that it may not be clear exactly which link was tied to which email, especially if you use the same link in multiple emails.
TIP: If you’re not sure or can’t remember where a particular link leads based on the url (such as an uploaded freebie file link like the one shown above), you can always click on it from this screen to view what it is.
Manually Segment an Individual Flodesk Subscriber Based on Opens or Clicks
Once you’ve seen which emails an individual subscriber has opened or which links they have clicked, you can manually add them to a segment based on their actions(s). We’ll get to how you can automatically add segments and take other actions based on opens and clicks later!
While still in their individual profile, navigate the the Segments & data tab, and then click + Add to Segment.
View 1-Off Flodesk Email Opens + Clicks
To view opens and clicks for an individual (non-workflow) email, navigate to the Emails tab in your Flodesk dashboard, and find the email you want to analyze.
Hover over the email and click the View Results button.
From here you’ll see the same clickable At a glance bars, and you can click on each to see a list of who received, opened or clicked the email.
View Flodesk Workflow Email Opens + Clicks
To view all the stats for a workflow, first navigate to the Workflows tab in your Flodesk dashboard, and find the workflow you want to analyze.
Hover over the workflow and click the analytics icon (3 bars) at the bottom right of the workflow thumbnail. Then, click the View Results button.
On this first screen (Overview tab), you’ll see At a glance bars for the entire workflow. You can click on each of these to see a list of subscribers who started, are currently active, completed, opened or clicked anything in the workflow.
To view stats for individual emails within the workflow, navigate to the Details tab of the workflow, and then find the email you want to analyze within the workflow.
Click the analytics icon (3 bars) at the bottom right of the email thumbnail. There you’ll see overall stats for # of subscribers who were sent the email, open rate and click rate.
You can hover over any of those stats and click to view a list of subscribers for each.
Manually Segment a List of Flodesk Subscribers Based Email Opens + Clicks
Unfortunately, there’s currently no way to select Flodesk subscribers in bulk from within an analytics screen to add them to a segment in bulk. But, there are a couple of workarounds.
To manually add segments to subscribers who opened or clicked a 1-off email or workflow email, you have 2 options:
- I it’s a short list, you can manually open each subscriber in a new tab and follow the instructions above for adding a segment to an individual subscriber
- “Export” a list of opens or clicks to a spreadsheet, then re-import to add a segment to everyone on the list (Tutorial coming soon — in the meantime, you basically just select, copy and paste all of the subscribers into a Spreadsheet! Then, export as a CSV to re-import into Flodesk and add a segment)
For the second option, you can learn how to import a CSV of contacts into Flodesk and add segments to contacts on Import in my Flodesk Migration Made Easy video course.
Psst… this mini course is currently FREE for my subscribers! > (opens in a new tab)” rel=”noopener” class=”ek-link”>Get it here >>
Auto-Segment Flodesk Email Opens + Clicks (with Caveats)
You can automatically track and segment Flodesk subscribers based on email opens or link clicks — as well as trigger other actions to happen when they do (such as sending an email)!
However, there are a few caveats:
- Automatically tracking opens and clicks (i.e “link triggers”) in Flodesk can only be done for workflow emails (not 1-off emails)
- You need to include a time delay step before each of these conditions, and any subsequent actions (such as adding to a segment when a link is clicked, sending an email to unopens, etc.) won’t happen until the time delay has ended. Therefore, you won’t be able to do actions that require an instantaneous action when there is an open or click (such as allow subscribers to instantly unsubscribe from a sales sequence).
- Opens and link clicks are based on ONE specific workflow email at a time, so for each email in a workflow you want to automatically track, you’d have to create ADDITIONAL condition steps (1 for each open and another for each link clicks), which can quickly make for a CRAZY amount of conditional yes/no branching in a workflow with multiple emails you want to track. Therefore, if you want to implement these automations, I recommend limiting them to shorter workflows with only 1 or 2 emails (such as a freebie delivery workflow).
I already created an in-depth post about creating link triggers in Flodesk and their limitations.
Tracking email opens (or unopens) in a Flodesk workflow and automatically adding to a segment works pretty much the same way, except a little simpler. You’d still navigate to a specific email within a workflow, and then create your condition steps after. Instead of a link click being the condition trigger, you’d choose an email open. Then, the action would be to add to a segment, or send an email, etc.
Coming soon! How to Automatically Resend a Flodesk Email to Unopens